Sunday, April 15, 2018

The Story About Alcohol Abuse the Media Won't Do


The Story About Alcohol Abuse the Media Won't Do
by Lynn Earley


Addiction. Addicts. Recovery. Alcoholism. Celebrities Going to Rehab. . Binge Drinking. Underage Drinking. Drunk Drivers.
The media is filled with stories on these topics lately, mainly because drama and sensationalism really boost ratings. News formats love all the blood, the violence, the car wrecks, the outrageous, erratic behaviors, the public shame of fallen stars caught in embarrassing booze -fueled scenarios.

However, there is a huge point being missed.
A fact that impacts every person who has decided to stop drinking. It would be this:

ALCOHOL FREE  SOCIAL VENUES FOR ADULTS DO NOT EXIST. 

After all the rehabs, meetings, sober coaches, treatment centers, interventions, therapy, etc. an individual is still tossed back into a totally booze-oriented society.

Party spaces sans the drunks, drugs and drama (found in regular bars, trendy  clubs) , open only to adults over 21, are not available , on a large scale, for the general public.
(Especially not in New York City.)
It's the biggest most overlooked fact, when dealing with alcohol abuse. Mind boggling, how I seem to be the only human on earth, who realizes it.
AA sober “bars” , recovery events that target a closed fellowship , corny all ages gatherings , are not a part of this picture , at all.
Recently, there have been many articles about “sober nightlife,” where the reporters describe various alcohol free “pop up events.”

One takes place at 6 AM , where guests (young 20-30 somethings) wear workout clothes, do yoga, and freestyle dance to electronic beats. Dogs, goats, and children have been allowed in the past. (Sorry, but that doesn't scream "nightlife," to me.) 
  Another group stages alcohol free “Open Mic” type parties, a few times a year, in LA and NYC. Another hosts a mixed bag venue, offering workshops, discussions, meditation and healthy snacks, with admission prices ranging from $45 to $110. 

No mention of an exciting, vibrant  booze free nightclub.; a permanent place, open five nights a week. 
Because that kind of venue is non existent.

I’ve tried , since 1987, when I stopped drinking, to bring the fact that these venues do not exist, to the public’s attention.

That year, I wrote my first letter,  to Donald Trump. I banged it out on an old Underwood, with carbon paper. A few weeks later, I received a  curt , yet gracious reply, on his silky gold  stationery, stating that his interests lie solely in real estate and gambling. 
There is something to be said, for unanswered prayers.

( I wrote to him because a) he does not drink b) lost a brother to alcoholism c) was rich d) had a lot of space, in Manhattan, at the time. )

Over the years, I have corresponded with hundreds of people,  and have yet to find anyone with the intelligence to understand my point, and  the interest to do anything about it.
Promoting partying without alcohol has not been easy, at all.
I wasn't always “sober.” 
I started drinking at sixteen, stopped when I was thirty eight. . During those twenty two years  my addictions rendered me unconscious, and out of touch, with myself, and those around me. My low self-esteem, a very high sex drive, and alcohol addiction, all kept me from knowing any kind of real happiness, sanity or serenity. 
As long as I had a drink in one hand, a joint in the other, a man in my bed, and money  in my pocket, I didn’t care about anything, or anybody.
Except of course, where my next cocktail  was coming from. I was THE Party Girl, whose life revolved around alcohol.   If there wasn’t a party happening, then I’d create one.

During the mid 70’s I lived in a great duplex in Chelsea, which provided a chic, trendy backdrop for some wild  Studio 54 type soirees, complete with Beautiful Talented Artsy People.
They loved my bashes, because I always knew when to bring out the Right Booze, with The Right Drugs,  Right Munchies,  Right Ambiance,  Right Music.  Many a morning, around 6 AM, after the Courvosier and the Cocaine, a breakfast of Quaaludes and Valiums were offered, rendering the guests  in semi coma states, who then passed out all over the  place.  Success!  A Good Time was Had By All.

This lifestyle went on for years, until May 22, 1987, when I had my last drink. For some time, I had been experiencing an allergic reaction to alcohol.  That night, I had gone to a glamorous party  and had a split of Dom Perignon.  It was to be my last cocktail, ever. The next day, my hangover simulated death. I had shortness of breath, was ice cold and felt like I was going to pass out.

That was it, for me.

One of the very first things I realized, in the first six months after I enjoyed my last glass of bubbly,  was that not one place existed, where an adult could go, to socialize, dance, listen to live music, without alcohol being present.  (There STILL isn't. Amazing.) 
AA dances I attended were dreadful. The DJs were lackluster, the people stood around and talked “program” all night, cliques ruled, and many of the events allowed kids. Hardly the sexy, exciting, titillating  atmosphere I was used to. 

My solution was to start a group called the High and Dry Club, which is now the  Zero Proof Party Zone.  It exists only as a virtual “meetup,” of over 2,500 members. I get requests to join every day.

The main goal was, and still is, to provide society (not just those in recovery) with an edgy, upbeat,  hip yet healthy alcohol-free social alternative  to bars and clubs. 

The Zero Proof Party Zone  is an arts based dynamic. It is a very diverse mix of musicians, artists, actors, dancers, photographers, and many others in creative fields, along with  individuals into personal fitness, nutrition, yoga, meditation, alternative health and  holistic practices.  They all enjoy life sans booze, and wish to connect with other kindred spirits. It is not an AA/recovery group, at all.

I have basically produced a  powerful “hands-on” prevention tool, where a person can actually experience what it is like to enjoy a fabulous night out, without getting hammered, sick or high. The Zero Proof  Clubs Project will create many jobs, stimulate the economy, promote all the arts, and healthy lifestyles.

Right now it’s all liquor-filled bars and clubs on one side, and AA on the other. These vibrant venues I've designed will provide a much needed enlightened, artistic CHOICE, for anyone who has stopped drinking booze. Especially those who are “sober curious,” individuals who think that they are over indulging, and seek social venues that do not include alcohol.
Non drinkers need their own venue. That obviously takes money.

I 'm looking to have a conversation with someone  who also has a similar sense of vision; who thinks creatively, acts productively  , wishes to  serve the greater good.
Someone  with whom this whole idea resonates, maybe because they are in recovery themselves.
Sober celebrities abound. So do concerned philanthropists.

Such as Michael Bloomberg,  who I met in 2003. I gave him my proposal for my Zero Proof Clubs Project,  which he passed it on to the LMDC, an agency that was formed after 9/11.
Unfortunately, by the time all the paperwork was reviewed, the agency ran out of funds. My project embraces all the social themes he has supported over the years. 
I'm a social entrepreneur; someone who is using a business to address a major social issue ( alcoholism). Think “Weconomy.”

Not everyone needs/wants endless cocktails to enjoy life. It's time for the media to finally feature stories on individuals with viable solutions to alcohol abuse, rather than continue to shine the spotlight on the problems that arise because of it.

One interesting observation embraces the reality that England ( London especially) is way ahead of New York City, when it comes to the non alcoholic party /social scene. It is home to many “dry bars” and “mindful drinking festivals.”
It's time for New York City to wake up and welcome a more conscious club scene, easily accomplished by..empowering this extremely passionate , very original zero proof party gal who has been ahead of the sober times for over twenty five  years, and wishes to help change the culture with regard to drinking.

These unique first of their kind "conscious clubs" will impact millions of individuals.

First, of course, would be those in recovery from alcohol abuse; many who struggle every day, not to consume the liquid drugs that had been, or are, destroying their lives.  Where can they go to party, or dance, or socialize , in NYC, where no alcohol is served? ( On a regular basis, not just "pop ups" who are over priced and cater to "cliques.." )
Then there are the "non drinkers," which include a range of people, who abstain due to religious or health reasons, or who are pregnant, or who just choose to embrace an alcohol free lifestyle; a "high vibe life." ( Like myself.)  I last around 45 minutes in a bar/club, as I'm not tossing back liquid drugs
in order to get a good "buzz," and just to not relate to the whole loud boozy vibe.

Finally, there is a group that really would benefit from the existence of zero proof party places. It consists of men and women who realize...or think..they have a "problem," with alcohol. They see that it is affecting their lives, and want to stop, or cut down, but sitting in a chair in an AA meeting just has no appeal.
 However, if there was a very cool, sexy, artsy venue that existed ( for adults over 21 only) that served vibrant non alcoholic cocktails ( like Curious Elixirs and Seedlip) , that offered dancing, and fabulous live music , then they at least would have a "choice."

Because right now, there is none.

On May 22nd, I celebrated thirty one years sobriety. I had wanted to host a swell party, and invite sober folks in the NYC area, but was not able to come up with the funds. I did inquire about space to rent, however. The Union Square Ballroom was available ( a truly divine space for this swing/salsa/ballroom dancer) but the rental fee sure wasn't.  Neither was  monies for a DJ, snacks, beverages, ice, paper goods, etc.
I've decided to start a GoFundMe page, in order to raise funds, so I can start producing alcohol free pop up events in NYC. Hopefully they would attract an "angel investor" , who would want to help me achieve the ultimate goal, of opening NYC's first booze free "conscious club."

Years ago, a singer in the Zero Proof Party Zone commented on my frustration, at not being able to find the funds to create these venues. She said, " the right ears haven't heard you yet."
Maybe now, they have. 


No comments: